With this kit, you can turn a NETATMO additional indoor module into a smart pool thermometer that can be seamlessly integrated into your Netatmo weather station.
The WLAN pool thermometer “Netatmo Modification – pool@smart2” is now in use in swimming pools and ponds, in more than 14 countries. Look forward to a sophisticated pool thermometer, which you can build yourself with this kit.
This kit contains:
- Original additional NETATMO indoor module (optional)
- Pre-assembled, UV and chlorine-resistant housing parts
- Special glue and brush to be able to connect the housing parts absolutely watertight with each other in the cold welding process.
- Thermally conductive electrical potting compound in order to be able to cast the expensive NETATMO electronics absolutely watertight and airtight, and to be able to guarantee exact measurement results. Including all necessary equipment (measuring beaker, stirring sticks).
- External antenna unit and external battery compartment including connection cable for soldering.
- Thermal insulation kit to protect the battery compartment from condensation and to thermally seal off the temperature sensor and the Netatmo board from solar radiation and outside air temperatures.
- PE swimming ring including silicone ring to adjust the immersive depth.
- Blue silicone ring to visually beautify the lid
- Detailed step by step instructions with pictures.
- Numerous assembly aids.
Now your pool can be seamlessly integrated into your smart Netatmo weather station or smart home. Amazon Alexa or Google Assistant can now also provide information about the current water temperature of your swimming pool.
“Alexa, ask Netatmo: What is the temperature in the pool?”
Of course, this Netatmo pool thermometer modification, like other Netatmo components, can be integrated into your smart home environment. Currently, IFTTT, Apple HomeKit, Magenta SmartHome, Conrad Connect and many other home automation solutions are supported.
We have been modifying smart thermostats to make them waterproof since 2017. In pool@smart2 pool thermometer is all our know-how.
Wi-Fi pool thermometers for smart pool owners
IFTTT connection - infinite possibilities
- For example, let your Philips Hue lights glow red when your pool has reached the optimal water temperature or blue glow at low water temperature.
- For example, stop the heating phase when the pool has reached the desired temperature (IFTTT requires suitable actuators).
- Receive push messages to your smartphone when your pool has the optimal bathing temperature.
These are just a few examples of how you can use this WI-FI pool thermometer with IFTTT.
Notes on the pool thermometer kit
- Little manual skills are required to assemble the kit.
- Each step is described in detail and includes pictures.
- The kit contains not only the components required for assembly, but also numerous assembly aids to be able to park or fix the system.
- Three soldering points must be made. This soldering task should also be able to master soldering beginners.
- Please note that you must have a soldering iron and some solder. The basics of soldering should be known. If not, practice on defective components beforehand.
- Tools required: Torx screwdriver size 6, small cross-tip screwdriver, small wire cutter.
- Assembly time: about 60 minutes. Note that the curing of the adhesives and electrical potting compound will delay completion.
Including electronics potting system and insulation kit
No, it is not enough to throw the Netatmo module into a waterproof housing and solder an antenna. We tested it. A pool thermometer is not only exposed to the most common disinfectants such as chlorine, bromine or salt. The weather and especially solar radiation can destroy the pool thermometer housing. In addition, there is the constant change in temperature, which can lead to condensation forming inside the pool thermometer housing. Of course, the pool thermometer also has to cope with the fact that the sensors are under water and the antenna is above water. In the end, you want to get exact measurements.
This kit contains everything you need to overcome all of these challenges. We only use high-quality housing parts that are suitable for every type of pool and that have excellent UV protection. To ensure that the housing is absolutely waterproof, a high-quality adhesive is supplied to connect the parts with each other using a cold welding process.
In order to additionally protect the expensive Netatmo circuit board from moisture, it is encapsulated with an electronic potting compound. The excellent thermal conductivity of this first-class 2-component system ensures an exact temperature measurement. Since the electronics can be destroyed in this process, the detailed assembly instructions supplied contain precise and easily understandable instructions.
The supplied thermal insulation kit ensures exact temperature measurements and reduces condensation to a minimum. The power supply unit and the antenna are thus optimally protected. We also coat the contacts of the connection cable and the battery compartment with a protective oil. Should moisture penetrate in spite of everything, this can prevent corrosion on the battery compartment for some time.
In recent years we have continuously developed this pool thermometer. Benefit from our experience and look forward to a sophisticated and high-quality pool thermometer .
All features of the mounted pool thermometer
- Data retrieval via Wi-Fi
- Worldwide access to the pool thermometer and your Netatmo weather station sensors
- Exact temperature measurement at a depth of 28 cm
- Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant support
- Smart Home is capable with IFTTT, Apple HomeKit, Conrad Connect and Magenta SmartHome support.
- Access to the Netatmo Weather API
- Measurements can also be integrated into your website and displayed (e.g. with the WordPress plugin “Weather Station“)
- Free apps
- Waterproof, chlorine, UV and weather resistant housing
- Easy setup in about three minutes
- Battery-powered pool thermometer.
- Suitable for chlorine, bromine and salt water pools
- Data can be exported e.g. via Myatmo app, but also IFTTT
- Uncomplicated support
Technical data of the finished WLAN pool thermometer
- An original NETATMO “additional indoor module” with the manufacturer number NIM01-WW is modified
- Measuring range: 0°C to 50°C
- Accuracy: -0.3°C
- Collection frequency: every 5 minutes
- App compatibility: mind. IOS9 or min. Android 4.2
- Battery operation with 4 AAA batteries (included) or optionally with 4 AA batteries (extra charge)
- Dimensions: diameter swimming ring: 160 mm / housing: 65 x 333mm / approx. 90 mm are above water
- Housing color: gray
- Color of swim ring: blue, red
- Can be used in chlorine, bromine and salt water pools
- Not suitable for hot water applications in whirlpools or hot tubs
- Detailed and easy-to-understand assembly instructions including 70 images (German, English, French (Google Translator), Dutch (Google Translator), Spanish (Google Translator).
- 3-part housing set
- tested PVC-U adhesive (cold welding process)
- Cleaning cloths for degreasing and cleaning the joints
- 2 components electrical casting compound including measuring beaker and stirring tool
- Original Netatmo indoor module (optional)
- External antenna for soldering
- External battery compartment including connection cables for soldering
- 3-part thermal insulation kit
- 4x assembly aids
- Attachment Cord
- Swimming ring made of PE foam (height adjustable thanks to silicone band)
- Silicone ring blue
Important notes and requirements
- The kit contains adhesives, cleaning cloths and a 2-component electrical potting compound. Therefore, pay attention to the tab / area hazard warnings.
- You must have the Netatmo weather station to operate this thermometer. The weather station is not part of this offer and can be purchased separately in our shop.
- The Netatmo module is modified in this kit. We can only guarantee the functionality of the finished device if you use our assembly service. If you decide on a kit and follow the assembly instructions exactly, the risk of destroying the electronics is relatively low. However, you should put the Netatmo module into operation before making any modifications to ensure that it works properly. If not, you can complain about the device in its original condition.
- An original Netatmo interior module is modified. A total of 3 additional smart interior modules can be used.
- Since we use a Netatmo indoor module, CO2 and humidity values are also transmitted to the Netatmo app. However, these values have no meaning whatsoever. If you have set up push notifications in the Netatmo app, you may receive warnings about too high CO2 values. Please disable these notifications and use IFTTT’s free push notifications instead.
- Antenna range: Our modification of the original Netatmo interior module does not change the radio range. In our Test, the Base Station was placed in a closed Room (Brick Construction) behind a locked window with direct Visual Contact To the Thermometer. The Pool Thermometer and the original Netatmo Inner module were able to establish stable Connections to the Base Station up to 25 m. Remember that any additional wall or source of interference (e.g. router, metal objects, pool edge, etc.) will reduce the range. We therefore recommend that you test a Netatmo Inner module (if any) at the desired Site (must not get wet) before purchasing. If only one bar is visible in the Netatmo app at the edge of the pool, you should not buy this modification.
- We use PVC components for the swimming pool area. There may be scratches on the components. This applies particularly to the pipe. Since this component is in use under water, this does not interfere visually.
- Not suitable for hot water pools such as hot tubs, hot tubes.
- Apps for IOS and Android: