NEW: This is the floating version of our popular Netlmo Modification WLan pool thermometer. With this new version, the WLan antenna no longer needs to be routed out of the pool or pond. The waterproof (after IP68) housing for the original Netatmo module hangs on a PE Foam ring where a mini-WIFI antenna is attached. How deep your pool thermometer submerges you can decide. The suspension and the antenna cable can be adjusted between about 5 cm and about 190 cm.
Of course, with this version you can also conveniently check and log the temperature of your pool or pond from your smartphone or tablet. Since we use an original Netatmo indoor module, you can also use Amazon Alexa or add the Netatmo module to your home automation system.
WiFi Pool temperature sensor- Netatmo Modification Construction
A long time I was searching for a digital pool temperature sensor which I can use for my home automation. I did not find a solution which made me happy. So, I decided to do it by my own. Because I already owned a Netatmo Weather station I tied to make the addition Netatmo module waterproof. And I was successfull by mounting an external WiFi antenne on the module an put everything in a waterproof case.
In the floating version, the housing hangs on a cord under a Foam ring made of a high-quality, cross-linked PE foam (color: blue / red). The antenna cable is routed from the waterproof housing to the water surface and is connected to a mini WIFI antenna, which is integrated into the float.
What you will get if you buy the Wireless WiFi pool temperature sensor – Netatmo Modification
- Orignial addition indoor Module for Netatmo Weather station with a mounted external WiFi antenna: Choose your favorite external antenna.
- Original Netatmo packaging
- Waterproof Case (IP68) – The WiFi antenna cable goes through the fitting of the case and is sealed by us.
- Vaseline to seal the screwing.
- PE Foam Ring in blue and red
- Weights are mounted in the housing so the thermometer does not float
Variants: Diving depth
- Standard: Antenna cable and fastening cord: length about 170 cm
With this variant you can adjust the depth by yourself on site. The cord can be cut to the desired size, the antenna cable can be rolled up and attached to the housing with a silicone strap. This allows you to variably adjust the depth between about 5 cm and about 170 cm.
- Variant 2: The antenna cable and the fixing rope are assembled by us to a desired depth between about 5 cm and 170 cm. Simply select this option with the desired depth.
Purpose for Wireless WiFi pool temperature sensor – Netatmo Modification
- Pool temperature sensor
- Pond temperature sensor (for example Koi Ponds)
- Fish tank temperature sensor
Prerequisites for the operation of the WiFi temperature sensor
To use this WiFi temperature sensor – Netatmo Modification you have to own the Netatmo weather station. You can not use our modification withou the Netatmo weather station. The Netatmo weather station is not part of the offered product.
To use Amazon Alexa you have to own a suitable device (eg Amazon Echo Dot or Amazon Echo)
Installation of the Wifi pool temperature sensor – Netatmo Modification
Before you screw up the WiFi temperature sensor follow the instructions of the official Netatmo website:: To the installation page
Once you have correctly connected the Netatmo module to your weather station and the current temperature of the module is displayed, proceed as follows:
- Spread some Vaseline (included) on the rubber gasket in the lid.
- Carefully insert the Netamo module into the black case. The part with the battery cover and the WiFi cable should point upwards (see product images). Now screw the yellow cover onto the housing. Now carefully immerse the housing under water. If large air bubbles come up, this can be a sign that the case is leaking. In this case, screw the lid a little tighter.
- Now attach your WiFi temperature sensor underwater eg to the pool ladder with a rubber band.
- To test if your WiFi pool temperature sensor can connect to your Netatmo base station, press the top button on the Netatmo base station. Now the values are updated in the Netatmo app. When you see a temperature value, your pool thermometer is ready for use.
Exact temperature values
In order to check how reliable the measured values of the WLan Netatmo Modification Pool Thermometer are, we have carried out several measurement. In our test, a sensor was positioned about 5 cm above the water surface, ie outside the water, and a sensor in the water at the level of the Netlmo modification WIFI pool thermometer. The pool thermometer was set to 10 cm immersion depth. When immersed in 14 degrees Celsius cold water, the Netatmo module readings were around 24 degrees Celsius.
After about 1.5 hours the pool thermometer gave exact values, recognizable by the fact that the curve of the Netatmo module (green curve) runs synchronously with the curve of the underwater sensor (blue curve). Conclusion: Once the pool thermometer has acclimatized, exact values are delivered.
Integration of the WiFi / wireless Pool temperature sensor Netatmo modification in Amazon Alexa
Install the official Netatmo skill for Amazon Alexa: Link to the Skill
If you have correctly integrated the Watan / WiFi pool meter Netatmo Modification into your Netatmo weather station you can ask Alexa for example:
“Alexa, ask Netatmo what is the temperature in the pool”
If you did not name the Netatmo module “pool”, replace the word “pool” in the command with your chosen name.
Integration of the Wireless / WiFi pool temperature senso Netatmo modification into your home automation
It may be useful to integrate the pool temperature in your home automation. When the pool is being heated up, for example, a command can be sent to another device at a desired temperature (eg, end the pool heating process). Of course, a traffic light system could also be integrated: green = nice and warm, yellow = still pleasant, red = only for hard.
Netatmo systems and thus also this modification can be integrated eg into the open source tool OpenHab 2. OpenHab 2 can be installed eg on a Raspberry Pi or a Synology NAS. Instructions can be found here:
- OpenHab2 on Raspberry Pi (German)
- Install OpenHAb 2 on Synology NAS.. Here are ready-made packages for easy installation (English) ..
- How many modules can I add to my Netatmo weather station?
We use an original Netatmo additional indoor module. A maximum of 4 (1x base + 3 additional indoor modules) indoor modules can be used.
- Can I also use the Netlmo Modification WLan pool thermometer without a Netatmo weather station?
No, you must own a Netatmo weather station. This is not included.
- More questions? Please contact us.